Monday, October 27, 2014

Year Two: Week Six: Cars, Trains, and Planes...oh my!

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
A Light in the Attic ~ Shel Silverstein

Transportation Week! What a good time for this theme since we took ourselves on a little road trip. :) 
Take a look: 

 Coolest road trip companion ever. He did so well! This was our first "fully potty-trained" trip and, it was a success! He's such a good traveler. I'm one lucky mommy, for sure.

 For our trip, I made this little chart. Microsoft Word, threw in some clip art, and done. I didn't have him use it the whole trip. I would just occasionally ask him if he wanted to look for some vehicles on his chart. Most of the time, he gladly accepted and we would tally up what we found. We ended up with a little of everything and it made for a good distraction on the longer parts of our drive.  

 Once we were home again, it was back to school! For our journaling, I asked him what his favorite vehicle was and he picked a fire truck! So, there you have it. 

 Through Pinterest, I found these name writing worksheets. You can put anything you want on them. Any word! For free! Pretty fantastic, yes? You can find the link here.


 Paper airplanes! Now, let me tell you something. It's a secret. I am NOT an expert in making paper airplanes. But I had my sidekick copy my folding and make his own! Then we took them outside to see who's went the furthest. Neither of us won, really. But anyway...


 Sometimes, I can be brilliant. These are paper plates (one already yellow!), some construction paper, and chopsticks. I traced the plates on the paper and cut out the red and green. Then simply glued them on and taped the chopsticks to the back. TA-DA! Red light-Green light! This kid loves to be outside, loves to run, and loves to instruct others in their movements. Haha! We played this for the better part of the morning and he has asked to play again and again. 


 Our road trip took us to Memphis to meet up with my forever friend that I haven't seen in about 3 years. When we flew off to Italy, she ran off to Alaska. This was the closest we had been since then and I wasn't about to miss the opportunity to see her and her boys. We went to the zoo and to Gibson's Donuts. It was so good to catch up and have the boys play! Good for soul, for sure. 
Go to Memphis. Go to Gibson's Donuts. The end. 

 We finished up soccer this past weekend. He got a cool medal and I got the relief of it all being over. This was not our favorite sport. The concept of "team" is still new and he didn't like having to share the ball or not getting make the goal. It was a good experience... that we may not try to re-create for a couple of years. Back to baseball! :) 

I found these here. I have worked tirelessly to cut them out, laminate them, poke holes, and get them on the rings. I'm about half done. But they are good for some quick reading practice. I think we will get more use out of them as the year progresses.

There you have it! A week of moving and travels. Mostly ups and very few downs. Overall a good week! Coming up is Halloween Week! Come back to see what we've created!

No comments:

Post a Comment